There’s more to keeping your immune system healthy than washing your hands and getting an annual flu shot in the winter. The best way to maintain a healthy immune system is to practice healthy habits year round. That can be easier said than done.
I bet you can count on one hand how to boost your immune system function: Exercise, eat right, stay upbeat and get plenty of rest. There’s ample news coverage on how you can stay healthy with these straight-forward activities. Yet, knowing what to do isn’t the same as getting it done.
Our mission at Swisse is to help billions of people on their journey toward health and happiness. If you’ve fallen off the self-care wagon and need a nudge to begin again, read on. These healthy lifestyle tips can keep you going strong, even on days when everything seems overwhelming.
The negative news cycle playing 24/7 can cause chronic stress and make you lose focus on all that is good in the world. The truth is, when we thrive physically, mentally and emotionally, it helps us choose positivity over fear. One way to get started is by practicing mindfulness.
This simple practice has many documented health benefits. Among other things, it can:
- Slow heart rate
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve sleep quality
- Fortify the immune system
If you want to start practicing mindfulness, follow the steps below. You may also consider joining a class at a gym or yoga studio. Sometimes it’s easier to stay motivated when you have a group to support your efforts.
HOW TO MEDITATE
- Find a quiet comfortable space and sit with your legs crossed, palms facing up to the sky.
- Relax your body.
- Take long, slow breaths, filling the belly as you inhale, gently pulling it in as you exhale.
- Focus on breathing and quieting the mind. When thoughts come to you, acknowledge them and then set them aside.
- Think “inhale” as you take the air into your lungs, and “exhale” as you release it. “Om” works, too.
- Start by meditating for five minutes. Increase your session over time. You can set a timer on your phone to free yourself of being concerned about when to stop.
- When finished, gently move the body, stretch and slowly open your eyes.
- Consistency is key, as it’s better to meditate daily for short periods of time than very sporadically.
Move Your Body
When life gets busy and stressful, that’s the time we need to exercise the most. Reducing heart disease and maintaining a healthy weight are two main benefits of regular exercise. Moving our bodies creates energy that can help improve our physical and mental wellbeing.
A healthy mind and body can help fight off infection and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
When you exercise, you stimulate endorphins in the brain that can lead you to experience a “runner’s high.” These endorphins, along with serotonin, are the feel-good brain chemicals — when you move your body, they help improve your mood.
Instead of retreating to the sofa when you feel overwhelmed by life, lace up your running shoes and hit the trails. Or, if running isn’t your thing, try group exercise. Taking classes can reduce feelings of isolation or loneliness by connecting you with other people.
Here are some simple ways to add exercise into your daily schedule that are cost effective and don’t take up a lot of time:
- Take a 15-minute walk twice a day. It can go a long way to improving your cardio levels, and the alone time can help you reflect on the day.
- On the weekends, meet a friend for a walk and talk, rather than sedentary meetups in bars or cafes. Get your coffees to go and pick somewhere scenic to stroll around.
- Try standing at work more often or scheduling “walking meetings.” The extra activity will help clear your head and energize you for the rest of the day.
Eat Fruits & Vegetables
The vitamin and mineral benefits you get from eating fruits and vegetables go a long way to keep you feeling good. For immune-boosting support, add powerful antioxidants to your diet to help fight off infection. Keep it simple and start with the basics, including:
- Citrus fruits
- Sweet potatoes
- Sunflower seeds
- Green tea
Watch this Swisse Minute video to learn about three more powerful immune support foods you’ll want to add to your diet.
The right foods can go a long way to proactively support your immune system. So can a quality supplement. Swisse Ultiboost Immune Forte is our premium formula with three natural herbs, Vitamin C and Zinc. It features the herb Andrographis used in Ayurvedic Medicine to help support a healthy immune function.*
Swisse has a 50-year history of sourcing premium ingredients from around the world. We use scientific and traditional evidence to help you maintain optimal wellbeing. We hope you’ll join us on your wellness journey by following us on Instagram @swisseusa.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.